Minimal cost Manipulatives to illustrate Multiplication
- How do you multiply 6 by 3?
- In other words what is 3 times 6?
- Or 3 times 6 equals what number?
- Does your child see that multiplication is only repeated addition? So, now we know multiplication is only a big word for ‘adding several times’, it must be easy!
- Ask your child to glue 3 rows of 6 smiley’s neatly together on a piece of paper and write the two multiplication statements on another piece of paper. Turn the paper with the smiley’s 90 degrees and ask her to write two other multiplication statements. What does she see comparing the first and second two statements? How come?